I will be praying the Novena to the Holy Spirit in preparation for the great birthday celebration of the Church – PENTECOST!
Join me on this journey for the next 9 days so that you too can receive the POWER of the Holy Spirit!
Here’s an introduction to the Novena. Check back daily for the prayers.
The Novena to the Holy Spirit is the oldest of all novenas since it was first made at the direction of Our Lord when He sent His apostles back to Jerusalem to await the coming of the Holy Spirit on the First Pentecost. It is still the only novena officially prescribed by the Church. Addressed to the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, it is a powerful plea for the light, strength and love so sorely needed by every Christian. To encourage devotion to the Holy Spirit, the Church has enriched this novena with the following indulgences:
The faithful who devoutly assist at the public novena in honor of the Holy Ghost immediately preceding the feast of Pentecost may gain:
- An indulgence of 10 years on any day of the novena
- A Plenary indulgence, if they take part in at least five of the exercises;
- and moreover go to confession, and receive Holy Communion and pray for the Holy Father’s intentions.
Those who make a private novena in honor of the Holy Spirit, either before Pentecost or at any other time in the year may gain:
- An indulgence of 7 years on any day of this novena
- A Plenary indulgence under the usual conditions;
- but if a public novena is held, this indulgence is available only to those who are lawfully hindered from being part in the same.